(Corrects day of week to Friday in first paragraph)
LOS ANGELES, Nov 30 (Reuters) - A Los Angeles judge on
Friday dismissed murder charges against a 70-year-old
professional tennis official accused of killing her husband,
granting a request by prosecutors who said they were unable to
proceed with the case.
Los Angeles County prosecutors declined to discuss their
reasons for seeking a dismissal of the case against Lois Goodman
but prosecutors' spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said they had
received new information about the case.
The case was dismissed without prejudice, meaning that
charges could be re-filed against Goodman in the future.
"Because there is an ongoing police and district attorney's
investigation, we will not make any further statements that
might compromise that investigation," spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons
said in a written statement.
Goodman had been accused of killing her 80-year-old husband
in April by beating him with a coffee mug. She was charged in
Defense lawyers have argued that Alan Frederick Goodman's
death was an accident. They say that their client has passed a
lie detector test and that her DNA was not found on the mug.
Goodman is well known in tennis circles and had worked at
the annual U.S. Open Tennis Championships tournament for at
least the past 10 years, mainly as a line judge, according to
the U.S. Tennis Association.
(Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Bill Trott and Eric