The 971 Report

Cigarette butt started Tamweel tower fire - Dubai Police

The fire that gutted the Tamweel Tower in Jumeirah Lakes Towers two weeks ago was started by a cigarette butt that ignited piled-up rubbish, UAE daily The National reported on Tuesday citing a police report.

The Dubai Police forensic department has released its findings on the fire, which burnt half the building in the early hours of November 18.

According to the report, the fire started in a corridor at the back of the building's ground floor. The corridor was piled with paper, tape and wood left by contractors working on a shop in the building

It then spread quickly through the highly-flammable building cladding to the roof, from where blazing chunks of cladding rained down on the balconies and cars below, the daily reported.

Like us on facebook

Latest From The 971 Report