Digital Crave
  • UFC President Dana White spoke to TMZ about Phil “C.M. Punk” Brooks, and said that the former WWE superstar is looking “phenomenal” and on track for a debut in early 2016.C.M. Punk competes against Chris Jericho at WrestleMania XXVIII on April 1, 2012. (AP)C.M. Punk competes against Chris Jericho at WrestleMania XXVIII on April 1, 2012. (AP)

    Punk has taken his fair share of critique jumping headfirst into MMA. However, Roufus Sport training partners Anthony Pettis and Ben Askren have been vocal in their support of the 36-year-old rookie and are adamant that he will be able to transition smoothly.

    White also said he thinks UFC Hall of Famer Ken Shamrock needs to retire.

    'Suga' set for October return

    Former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans has been out of action for close to two years. According to UFC Tonight’s Ariel Helwani, Evans wants a return fight at UFC 192 in October against Ryan Bader.

    Bader has expressed his desire for the fight as well and now it is up to the UFC to make it official.

    Machida goes under the knife

    Yoel Romero broke the Internet with his post-fight speech on Saturday. Unfortunately for his opponent, Lyoto Machida, that

    Read More »from Notes: CM Punk on track, Evans-Bader possibly on tap and more
  • UFC president Dana White told Yahoo Sports Wednesday that UFC 189 will set promotion records for largest paid gate in the U.S. and will set a Nevada record for attendance, even after the loss of featherweight champion Jose Aldo from the main event of the July 11 card at the MGM Grand.

    A broken rib suffered in training on Tuesday forced Aldo out of his title defense against archrival Conor McGregor. The UFC replaced him with Chad Mendes, and they'll meet in the newly constituted main event for the interim featherweight crown. Aldo is expected to fight the winner when he's healthy.

    The co-main event will remain the same, a welterweight title fight between Robbie Lawler and challenger Rory MacDonald.

    White said the UFC had only received 50 requests for refunds since word of Aldo's withdrawal became public.

    White said the show is already a sell-out. A check of TicketMaster.com showed only a handful of seats available and none of those available on the floor. UFC senior vice president Peter

    Read More »from Dana White says UFC 189 will become first U.S. card with $7 million gate
  • One of the most hotly anticipated fights in mixed martial arts history was scrapped on Tuesday when Jose Aldo said his rib injury was too painful and would prevent him from defending his featherweight title against Conor McGregor on July 11 at the MGM Grand in the main event of UFC 189.

    UFC president Dana White made the announcement during an appearance with McGregor on Tuesday on SportsCenter. Chad Mendes, who lost a tough match to Aldo for the belt last year in Brazil, will now meet McGregor for the interim title.

    It's the fifth time in his UFC career that Aldo has pulled out of a bout with injury, but far and away the most devastating. Previously, injuries prevented Aldo from participating in UFC 125, UFC 149, UFC 153 and UFC 176.

    This one, though, is the toughest one for all concerned to take. The bout pitted the long-time champion, one of the great fighters in the sport's history, against a fast-rising star who in just two years has skyrocketed to stardom.

    White said it had a

    Read More »from Rib injury KOs champ Jose Aldo, McGregor-Mendes tops UFC 189
  • For the last week the UFC teased that fans would not want to miss Tuesday's official unveiling of the company's new UFC "Fighter Kits." They sent out emails and hit social media hard with each one of their champions campaigning for your attention.

    Now, they might be hoping some of those emails went directly to spam.

    Some of the UFC's biggest stars were on hand to give the fashion-week inspired event the extra push it needed. In fact, the only champion not on hand was UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, who is back in Brazil nursing a rib injury that might keep him out of his UFC 189 title defense against Irish needle-mover Conor McGregor on July 11.

    The look of the kit, themselves, is a stark departure from the billboard-esque fight shorts that athletes wore in year's past. Reebok even added an official "jersey" to go along with each fighter's choice of fight-night shorts – a jersey that will run you close to $100 if you'd like to purchase one.

    The UFC and its fighters rely heavily

    Read More »from UFC's 'fight kit' reveal goes awry as Reebok misspells several fighter names
  • Did he or didn’t he?

    That was the talk after Yoel Romero authoritatively dismissed Lyoto Machida on Saturday night at UFC Fight Night in Hollywood, Florida. The performance itself was stellar, with little to no mistakes on the Cuban-born immigrant's behalf.

    The post-fight speech, however, was an entirely different story. Fans and critics immediately rushed to their DVRs in an attempt to decipher what exactly was said when the 38-year-old contender took to the microphone after a career-defining victory over “The Dragon.”

    This much we do know: Romero was upset with America. He yelled at America through our television sets with great fervor. He wanted America to fix something.

    Then, depending on your auditory skills, you either heard Romero say something about “no for gay Jesus,” or “no forget Jesus.”

    [From Cagewriter: UFC's 'fight kit' reveal goes awry as Reebok misspells fighter names]

    Romero wanted to fix something happening in America and post-fight he clarified his statements and

    Read More »from Dana White did not appreciate Yoel Romero's post-fight religious rant
  • Yoel Romero put on a career-defining performance on Saturday against former light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida.

    The 38-year-old middleweight uber-prospect stood with “The Dragon” and his famed strikes until late in the third round when he attempted his very first takedown. It was a beautiful trip takedown that placed Machida on his backside and Romero followed it up with a succession of brutal elbows that had the Brazilian’s head bouncing off the mat. Referee John McCarthy rushed in and halted the action, officially, at 1:38 of the round.

    Romero transitioned to MMA at 32 in 2009 and has been lauded as one of the greatest wrestlers to ever compete in the sport. Now undefeated in all six of his UFC outings, Romero put on a performance against Machida that should have stolen the show.

    Unfortunately, it was his post-fight speech that will be getting him more attention.

    Romero, who goes by the nickname “Soldier of God” was draped in a “John 3:16” headband as UFC announcer Jon Anik

    Read More »from Yoel Romero gives bizarre religious rant after win over Lyoto Machida, later apologizes
  • LAS VEGAS -- Here's all you need to know about Chad Mendes: When UFC president Dana White called to gauge his interest in facing Conor McGregor if featherweight champion Jose Aldo is unable to compete on July 11, Mendes said yes before he knew whether he'd be paid.

    And on Thursday, a day after the UFC announced that Aldo is planning to put his belt on the line against McGregor but bringing in Mendes as a precaution in case the pain from a bruised rib becomes too unbearable for Aldo to fight, Mendes still didn't know if he'd be paid.

    "Honestly, I don't know," he told Yahoo Sports when asked if he'd be paid even if he's not needed to fight. "I guess we're still talking. I don't really know. But they offered me the chance to be the stand-by fighter for UFC and, paid or not, I was all over it. I was 100 percent going to do it."

    For the record, White said Thursday that Mendes will be paid, regardless of whether he fights. White said the UFC does that frequently, and said it paid Jessica Eye

    Read More »from Chad Mendes happy to serve as an understudy for Jose Aldo
  • Ex-UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell was defrauded by an escrow company and was awarded a nearly $2 million judgment in a California court, the Fresno Bee reported.

    Liddell, 45, had invested in four real estate developments with developer Kelly Gearheart, who in 2012 pleaded guilty in federal court in Los Angeles to two counts of wire fraud and one count of money laundering. Federal prosecutors are seeking an 11-year jail term for Gearheart, who will be sentenced on Monday in Los Angeles.

    Liddell's attorneys successfully argued that an escrow officer for Cuesta Title Company had a conflict of interest in the case because she was close friends with Gearheart. In addition, Liddell had alleged that his signature had been forged on documents.

    The jury found in Liddell's favor and awarded him $1,982,727.

    Liddell is now the vice president of business development with the UFC. He retired in 2010 after losing his final three fights and five of his last six. He won the light

    Read More »from UFC's Chuck Liddell wins $2 million judgment in real estate fraud case
  • Last Friday, Bellator MMA pulled its single-best ratings in company history, when their main event between street fighting sensation Kimbo Slice and UFC hall of famer Ken Shamrock peaked at 2.4 million viewers.

    Despite their increased age and declining skill sets, the fight between Slice, 41, and Shamrock, 51, was something that garnered legitimate interest, proven by the impressive viewership numbers.Ken Shamrock (Getty)Ken Shamrock (Getty)

    Fans shouldn’t be surprised, as Bellator had success in November 2014 when they put together a fight between former UFC mainstays Tito Ortiz and Stephan Bonnar. With both fighters nearing 40, the fight peaked at 2 million viewers.

    Unlike Ortiz and Bonnar’s labored and drawn out 15-minute affair, Slice and Shamrock was done in under three minutes.

    And it wasn't without its fair share of controversy.

    The fight, plainly put, was sloppy. So much so that the finish, and the moments leading up to it, were in question almost immediately after the event.

    Early in round one, Shamrock – a man

    Read More »from Kimbo Slice-Ken Shamrock draws record numbers for Bellator amid cries of a fix
  • If you are an MMA fan, you might want to be sitting down because this is going to hurt a bit.

    According to a report from Brazilian outlet Combate, UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo Jr. suffered a fractured rib during a mid-week sparring session and his fight with Conor McGregor is in jeopardy.

    The July 11 bout is set to headline UFC 189 and the company’s annual International Fight Week. The week is filled with fight festivities, a fan expo, fighter meet and greets, and countless other activities for the visiting throngs of fight fans making the pilgrimage to Sin City.

    The UFC has invested plenty in the Aldo-McGregor main event and a potential cancellation to the biggest fight in featherweight history has fans and media on the edge of their seat as the combat sports world awaits official word from Aldo's camp.

    Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time Aldo’s name has been linked to injury. In fact, Aldo has pulled out of four other UFC fights (UFC 125, UFC 149, UFC 153 and UFC 176)

    Read More »from Jose Aldo Jr. reportedly fractures rib, leaving UFC 189 main event up in the air

Pagination

(100 Stories)