A US military investigation has recommended disciplinary action for up to seven troops over their role in the burning of Korans at a base in Afghanistan, a US official said Tuesday.
No final decision has been made yet on the findings of a probe, which examined the torching of Korans at a US air base in February that sparked deadly riots and attacks on NATO troops, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
The investigation called for administrative punishment, but no criminal charges for up to six Army troops and one member of the Navy, the official told AFP.
The US Army confirmed the probe of the incident had been wrapped up, but offered no details about recommended disciplinary measures.
"The investigation is complete and is pending review," said spokesman George Wright.
The Koran burning ignited days of violent anti-US protests in which some 40 people died, plunging relations between foreign forces and their Afghan allies to an all-time low and forcing US President Barack Obama to apologize.
Top US commanders issued numerous apologies over the Koran burning and insisted it was an accident, but details of exactly how the incident occurred have remained unclear pending the outcome of the probe.
US officials say relations with Kabul have been shored up since the incident and the two governments have signed a partnership agreement opening the door to a long-term American military presence after 2014, when the bulk of US and NATO combat forces are due to withdraw.