london, May 22 (IANS) A pregnant British woman - who already had five kids - died after drinking industrial-strength vinegar during an attempted home abortion she had researched online.
Catherine Furey, 38, suffered a violent and eventually fatal reaction to the concentrated liquid in December 2010.
A police probe was launched and her 33-year-old sister-in-law Dawn Chadwick was arrested for giving her the vinegar. Chadwick was charged with manslaughter but after an 18-month investigation the charge was dropped, the Daily Mail reported.
The report said Furey may have researched using vinegar for an abortion on the internet.
Her sister-in-law was arrested in July 2011 and charged with unlawfully supplying a poisonous substance with the intent to cause miscarriage.
In January, prosecutors at Manchester Crown Court raised the charge to manslaughter. But now, the case has been dropped because Chadwick has had learning difficulties.