Population: 45.8 M.
FA foundation: 1991.
Affiliation to FIFA: 1992.
Affiliation to UEFA: 1992.
Head Coach: Oleg Blokhin.
Ukrainian participation in the European championship was impressive but restricted to players included in the USSR national team until independence in 1991.
The East European nation began to take part in the qualification in 1996 but finished fourth in their group behind Croatia, Italy and Lithuania.
Ukraine, led by Andriy Shevchenko and his strike partner Sergei Rebrov, came close to qualifying for the 2000 finals after finishing second in the group behind eventual champions France.
COULDN’T GO FURTHER THAN FOURTH
The Yellow-blues had to face Slovenia in the playoffs but they drew 1-1 in Kiev after losing 2-1 in Ljubljana.
In the 2004 qualifiers, Ukraine finished their group in third place eight points behind leaders Greece and seven behind runners-up Spain.
Despite reaching 2006 World Cup quarterfinals, Ukraine couldn’t go further than fourth place in a tough qualification group for Euro 2008 as they trailed behind Italy, France and Scotland, with 12 points behind the leaders.
- Singapore names Stange new football coac …
- Russia's grand football designs
- Berlin and Warsaw to stage European finals …
- Ferdinand calls time on England career
- Rio Ferdinand calls time on England care …
- Italy's fearless play-stopper & Bayern jinx …
- European roundup-Arsenal, Milan qualify for …
- Markets outlook - May 6Seven Media Group - Sunrise